Sublicensing Your On-Campus Room/Apartment
At this time, sublicensing is not available for graduate housing. The proliferation of COVID-19 remains a fluid situation, and decisions regarding sublicensing may change as conditions warrant.
For Additional Information regarding Graduate Housing's Response to COVID-19 please visit Frequently Asked Questions
For Additional Information regarding MIT's COVID-19 Response, please visit MIT’s Response to the Challenge of Covid-19
- Consult your Graduate Housing License Agreement to understand your legal responsibilities.
- Read the rules.
- The sublicensor can advertise their sulicense on the MIT Off Campus website (mitoffcampus.com). Advertising cannot occur on Craigslist, Airbnb, or other similar sites.
- The sublicensor is responsible for explaining house specific policies to their sublicensee.
- Sublicensors must first check into their assignment BEFORE they can sublicense their apartment and allow a sublicensee to begin their stay.
- You may submit your advertisement under the ‘My Listings’ tab in the navigation. Once approved, your listing will be posted and searchable on the ’View Listings’ page in the navigation tab.
- Once listing is approved, it cannot be edited by the sublicensor. Contact Graduate Housing to make changes to listings or applications.
- The Housing & Residential Services approval processes, for both listings and applications, may take 7-10 business days. (During high volume periods the approval time may be longer.)
- Sublicensees will be able to search and apply to your advertisement on the sublicense listings page.
- When a sublicensee has applied for your sublicense, you will receive an e-mail response with a link and instructions. You can also check for any pending applications in the ‘My Listings’ section.
- Before you approve an application, agree and finalize all terms of the sublicense (i.e. sublicense dates, payment schedule, key exchange, etc.) with your sublicensee.
- After you and the sublicensee have come to an agreement, you can approve the application.
- Housing & Residential Services will receive notice of the approval, will confirm the sublicensee's MIT affiliation and send an e-mail confirming or rejecting the sublicense.
The sublicense is not approved until you receive an e-mail confirmation from the Housing & Residential Services.
- The house operations managers will be notified of the sublicense by Housing & Residential Services and will activate the MIT ID card of the sublicensee when they arrive.
Do not leave your MIT ID card with the sublicensee.
- The sublicensee cannot occupy the space until the sublicense has been approved by Housing & Residential Services. Sublicensees can only begin residing in the apartment/room during the sublicense period. Sublicensees cannot reside in an apartment/room outside of the sublicense period dates.
- Make arrangements between the two of you to transfer the keys. Do not leave keys with the sublicensee until the sublicense is approved by Housing & Residential Services.
The front desk of the building will not facilitate this process. If keys are returned to the front desk, it will be considered as checking out for both the sublicensee and sublicensor.
- Please have your apartment clean and allow adequate space in the refrigerator/bathroom in order for your sublicensee to utilize all apartment facilities.
- Please take note to remove or consolidate personal items in your room.
- Please inform your roommates of potential sublets so they are aware of who will be residing in the apartment.
Points to Remember
- Helpful tip: Consider breaking down dates for sublicense periods. You can make one listing for the whole period, but will not be able to then create multiple sublicenses
or have different sublicensees for that one listing, if then desired.
- A refundable deposit, not to exceed $300, may be requested. Refundable deposits cannot be applied to rent, nor used for a cleaning fee. Charging a cleaning fee is not permitted.
- Rent cannot be more than the housing rates for the current year stated on the website. A sublicensor cannot include house tax in their rate.
- Sublicenses of less than 7 days for MIT students, and less than 14 days for MIT affiliates, will be denied.
- Do not accept rent for the apartment until you receive official approval from Housing & Residential Services.
- If a sublicensee backs out of a sublicense, Housing & Residential Services holds no responsibility and no rent refund will be given. If the sublicense is cancelled,
both sublicensor and sublicensee should notify Housing & Residential Services by emailing email@example.com.
- Please remember that a sublicense agreement is between members of the MIT community and not an agreement with Housing & Residential Services.
- Housing & Residential Services does not provide receipts for reimbursements to sublicensors or sublicenees.
- Important: Always check your spam/junk e-mail folders periodically as some of the email correspondence may get filtered to these folders.
If you are experiencing any difficulties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.